NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

This project is on hiatus as I'm taking a leave from the forums to deal with real life stuff, and so me and Knux can properly focus on our album. PM any episodes you want added with all the information I need and I'll add them when I return in maybe a month or two. Any bug reports, leave them on the issue tracker on the GitHub so I can take care of them.

Spoiler: show

At last it is here

SMBX Episode Manager Version 3.0.0.0!

What is the SMBX Episode Manager?

The SMBX Episode Manager is a tool created in C# to aide in the process of installing and now, updating episodes. The tool is used to download, install, and manage your SMBX episodes. Formerly created in Visual Basic, the language was changed for a couple of important reasons.
    *Snappier code
    *More advanced code
    *Better organised code
All of this combined with the new UI, creates an awesome user experience.

What's so special about this? I can download them manually just fine

That's fine if you can download them manually. But you'll also have to update them manually which can become a pain. This new version of the Episode Manager introduces a new file format called the ".index". This index file is placed in the episodes directory (or zip file) and contains information related to the episode including a version number. The manager will check for updates to the episode via a server hosted by the creator. If the Manager finds any updates, the manager will download and replace on a file by file basis.

Sounds great! How can I get my episode to use this format?

The following post will contain a user guide on how you can set your episode up for the new format, and host the servers in case you want to update your episode (don't worry, it's not too difficult).

Screenshots

Main UI
Gorgeous about box I've shown earlier
Settings, containing the updater for the Index Generator
When you install/select an episode
Where you can download episodes.
Overflow menu showcasing some episode options
New installer

Downloads and Other Links

New Installer (Don't worry, it shouldn't crash ;) ): http://mrmiketheripper.x10.mx/epmanager3/Installer.exe
Index Generator, for creating .index files: http://mrmiketheripper.x10.mx/epmanager3/IndexGenerator.exe
GitHub: https://github.com/Luigifan/smbx-epmanager-ver3

I found a bug!!!!111010101!

Please report them at the GitHub issues page. This way, we can keep track of what bugs have been fixed and what ones haven't been. Also, we'll be able to reference these issues in changelogs. Reporting a bug in this thread doesn't guarantee it will be fixed!

Last edited by Luigifan2010 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:39 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject: How To: Index Files
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:20 pm 
Lakitu
Lakitu

The full, always updated Google Docs tutorial can be viewed here.

Alternatively, if you want an offline Microsoft Office version, it will be found here

Last edited by Luigifan2010 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Post subject: [VER 3] Changelogs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 pm 
Lakitu
Lakitu

SMBX Episode Manager Changelogs
-Initial Release
-Fixed a bug where a 404ing server would cause the entire program to crash..phew!
-Added an overflow for the available episodes
-Added the ability to refresh the available episodes list (overflow)
-Added the ability to download just the index/icons/images for a certain local episode (overflow)
-Added a link to the Tumblr in the aboutbox
-Fixed a potential bug where the program would try to create invalid paths (EG: Valtteri Island: Revisited, the ":" character is an invalid character)
-Implemented an experimental cache system
-Fixed some minor bugs with the new cache system
-Updated the look of the settings menu
-Added the ability to download the IndexGenerator if it's missing
-Added a cache manager in settings
-Fixed a bug where the "Launch SMBX" button didn't do anything
-Fixed a bug where a corrupted zip would cause the whole program to lock up
-Added a "launch Index Generator" for those making episode indexes
-Checks to see if the current episode is in the process of being uploaded before downloading it
-Added an indicator on the Available Episodes page to see if the episode is installed or not
-Fixed a bug where trying to clear the cache would cause an exception due to an icon being open in a program
-Fixed a bug where trying to show the cache after it was cleared was cause an exception
-Fixed a bug where after clearing the cache, the old size was still shown
3.1.2.1 Hotfix
-Fixed a bug where certain episodes would deliver a "path not found" error on extraction

Index Generator Changelogs
-Updated UI to match the modern Windows UI (white background, Segoe UI 9pt)
-Enabled resizing of the UI
-Fixed a bug where a blank directory caused an ArgumentException
-Moved main functions into a MenuBar
-Added shortcuts for Open Index, Save Index, and Exit (Ctrl + O, Ctrl + S, Alt + F4 respectively)
-Added about and changelog
-Added an "Uncheck All" Button
-Fixed the typo in the Assembly's "Title" Property

Installer Changelog
-Added a startup check to make sure you're not on Windows XP
-Added the version in the corner next to "Design by Pixy"

Last edited by Luigifan2010 on Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:06 pm 
Rydia
Rydia

I'm having a problem with installing this. I launch the installer but nothing happens at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:15 pm 
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Quill wrote:
I'm having a problem with installing this. I launch the installer but nothing happens at all.

Do you have. NET framework installed? That can be the root of the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:31 pm 
Rydia
Rydia

Raster wrote:
Quill wrote:

Yes, framework 4.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 pm 
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Quill wrote:
Raster wrote:
Quill wrote:

Yes, framework 4.

There is a chance this program was coded for .NET framework 3.5 or older versions. You can try installing it if you haven't already. If this doesn't work then there's probably a code inconsistency.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:44 am 
Shy Guy
Shy Guy

You might think about making the already installed worlds box just show the world name. Or make the window resizable. Also for some reason Airship Attack kept erroring out at the last moment for me when downloading it. I went and found where the program gets the worlds from and I'm trying to manually download it now.

And another suggestion if it's feasible: Maybe make it so you can just download a zip and put it wherever you want rather than having to actually install it? My Documents isn't even on the same drive as the one I'd want to be putting it on.

Edit: Airship Attack still fails to download properly. I think the copy you have on your site is corrupt or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Quill wrote:

The program was compiled against .NET 4.0 on Windows 7. What OS are you running?

Alice wrote:
You might think about making the already installed worlds box just show the world name. Or make the window resizable. Also for some reason Airship Attack kept erroring out at the last moment for me when downloading it. I went and found where the program gets the worlds from and I'm trying to manually download it now.

And another suggestion if it's feasible: Maybe make it so you can just download a zip and put it wherever you want rather than having to actually install it? My Documents isn't even on the same drive as the one I'd want to be putting it on.

Edit: Airship Attack still fails to download properly. I think the copy you have on your site is corrupt or something.

I'm going to start working on that. Also, our servers seemed to have been having problems lately so I will get in contact with Pixels and see what he says.
And you can change where your SMBX is located in program settings.

Last edited by Luigifan2010 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:02 am 
Cecil
Cecil

Wait, do you upload the episodes on a different site instead giving the program the URL where the episode was originally uploaded? My episode was updated a thousand times after you said you added it to your program. Does that mean the manager has an outdated version of the game?

I also have a graphics pack now! viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1386
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValtteriValtteri24

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next