NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:04 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Valtteri wrote:
Blueoak wrote:
I can't enjoy a game if I don't think it looks nice.
I must be a terrible person or some shit.

Nah, I can't enjoy a game if it looks like shit either.

No, but let's say that it's the same game, but just with super-cool graphics or something. Would you still enjoy it?

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Visit and join my own forum, the Castlewars Forums. More members are needed.
Also, give this link a click to go to my YouTube channel. Subscribe if you want!

Remember, it's not about custom graphics in levels, it's about HOW YOU USE THEM.

Inactive from 25th of July to 31st of July due to holidaying in Greece.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:36 pm 
Ripper II
Ripper II

If it came out with better graphics, I very likely would enjoy it. Take FRLG - I can't for the life of me enjoy GenI of Pokemon (GenII improved a bit so I'm fine with that) but I can easily enjoy the remakes because they simply look better.

Spoiler: show
Imagerofl

KNUX'S FORUM IS BACK IN BUSINESS FRIENDS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:40 pm 
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

I hate those people as much as you do to truly judge a game you need to judge the game play as well as the graphics because if you don't play it just because of the graphics you may lose out on a good gaming experience

ImageImageImage

-MTL-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:49 am 
Pokey
Pokey

Ice wrote:
Yeah one of my levels called Mushroom Mayhem got minus points because the tileset wasn't "recolored"

So yes, I was the one who reviewed your level a while back, Ice.

I'll address two things:

• I never deduct points based on graphics or minor issues with the level (i.e. cutoff).
• Yes, I did judge your level based on level design and aesthetics. I judge design based on the structure of the level, linearity, and difficulty. On the other hand, I judge aesthetics based on graphics used and music.

The reason you got your score was based on the challenges and structuring used. Did graphics play a part in the score? Of course. Your graphics were almost the same used in Chad's project. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe the palletes used for some of the graphics were in a global GFX pack. Those were his edited graphics for his level.

However, I'm willing to compromise by not allowing graphics to play a huge or medium role in the score. I'll reconsider giving you a higher score for your level, though I feel an 8/10 is good for a level, in my opinion.

As with graphics, however, the graphics one uses should go well with the music. Next, using vanilla (or original) graphics should not be a problem at all in terms of scoring. Now, I personally feel that if a judge were to assign a grade for graphics, vanilla graphics should almost never be better than custom graphics.

If you're using custom graphics, at least make it so any recolors you do aren't blinding or ugly. Of course, a level shouldn't look crappy aesthetic-wise. But at the same time, sometimes levels using vanilla graphics can be better than levels with custom graphics.

In terms of assigning scores to levels, level design should mainly be the focus. But graphics wise should be as minimal as possible in terms of determining the final score.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:45 pm 
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

Your right. That's some bullshit, too. It's like that saying, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." but people will just be like "Fuck you, I'll judge whatever I want, bitch." That's so stupid, as long as the game is playable, why the crap do graphics matter?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:37 pm 
Grinder
Grinder

Nobody's saying that, and of course, nobody's doing that either. Also, graphics matter as well, not as much as gameplay though.

Credits to Gintoki for making these signatures.

Join my forum: http://smbxcontribution.prophpbb.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 am 
Grinder
Grinder

I just want to point out that I made an SMBX episode in 2011 that had NO custom graphics at all, and it is largely forgotten. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:01 am 
Grinder
Grinder

Knux wrote:
I just want to point out that I made an SMBX episode in 2011 that had NO custom graphics at all, and it is largely forgotten. :(

It's the great empire?

I discovered what's castlewars' CC8 level's name by saying random things.
I am a member on reghrhre's forum. I support that, so I put a link.
Below other links of forums I support.
Knux's forum
SMBXtreme forum
<m4sterbr0s>But yeah, some people on the forums need to mature more.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:04 am 
Grinder
Grinder

Christian07 wrote:
Knux wrote:

It's the great empire?

Knux World.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Knux wrote:
Christian07 wrote:
Knux wrote:

It's the great empire?

Knux World.

Maybe the lack of custom graphics could be one of the reasons why it got forgotten, but then again, it was made in 2011. The SMBX community wasn't large enough and SMBX was really limited in what it could do (we're talking 1.2.1 here) and your forum was still fledgling. Also, did you stop working on it at some point? That would make people go off your project. Quill's AoF was popular not just because he had a massive fanbase but because he kept working on it since the days of the original forums, all the way up to 2013 when it was finally released.

But using only vanilla graphics meant that no-one even looked at it as much as the popular ones at the time had custom graphics. But at this point I think more people are taking an interest in making episodes out of vanilla graphics and the "classic" SMBX episode is being reborn. Back then it was all about custom graphics so no-one cared as you didn't use them.

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Visit and join my own forum, the Castlewars Forums. More members are needed.
Also, give this link a click to go to my YouTube channel. Subscribe if you want!

Remember, it's not about custom graphics in levels, it's about HOW YOU USE THEM.

Inactive from 25th of July to 31st of July due to holidaying in Greece.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next