NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:47 pm 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Hey guys I'm back again. This time, I've coded a nice NPC Code editor for SMBX. This has to do with those custom NPC text files you find in episodes or make yourself. In this case, pictures speak louder than words so here's one

(Old, Initial release UI)
Spoiler: show

As you can see, I've got a test NPC of my own open. All coded in C# thanks to the .NET Framework 4.0. Supports all the custom NPC tag goodness, opening existing ones, etc. Everything you'd expect out of an NPC editor.
Now, I can't say this was 100% my idea; I got the idea from Wohlstand as the latest version of his engine includes an NPC viewer. It does not yet support saving. So I took a friday night and coded the reading capabilities and took today to write the UI and stuff.

Please note, this application does NOT auto update like my Episode Manager. Instead, you can check here every so often and compare your version found in Help>About (pictured below) to the current one in the changelog and re-download if necessary.

Downloads
EXE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62304851/SMBX%20NPC%20Editor.exe
If you don't have it, .NET Framework 4.0: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

Changelogs
Initial Release: 1.0.0.0
-Basic UI with 3 groupboxes and a bunch of controls for enabling/disabling various NPC codes
-Supports opening, saving, save as, etc
-.NET 4.0
-Fixed a bug where the "Don't Hurt" checkbox wouldn't be enabled

NOTE: I am not 100% sure if I'm going to release the source code yet so stay tuned!
Please leave any bugs you find, screenshots on other OS'es, etc below
-Increased the max value of the graphics height/width and physics height/width to 300. Any larger values being requested and I will change it.

-Adds support for the "0" score
-Adds support for negative GFX Offset values
-Adds support for a two-decimal place speed value (1.25 instead of 1.2)
-Adds the changelog form
-Removed the dialog asking if you wanted to quit, it was annoying and didn't work right
-Added support for drag/drop the NPC Text files onto the form

-Added support for animating an NPC (thanks a bunch GhostHawk!)
-Tries to automatically find the corresponding image in the same directory as .TXT
-Can edit how fast the NPC is animated with the "Frames Speed" checkbox
-Uncheck the check box to not have it write
-Can manually load an NPC file if needed
-Also shows the name of the NPC's gif file if loaded
-Added tooltips to explain each of the values. Hover your mouse over the label or box/numeric box/etc to see

-Fixed a bug where clicking the cancel button on the open file box would cause the program to throw an
exception
-Fixed a bug where not having a framespeed value would make it default to 1. This resulted in a sonic fast
sprite preview!

Last edited by Luigifan2010 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:49 pm 
Fighter Fly
Fighter Fly

What's this? Instead of making a TXT file of the NPC, you can use this program? I can't believe when I was browsing the forum as a guest, and saw that you can like, adjust the height and width of the NPC and have it like, not fall or pass through it, I think this would be more useful for creating graphics! Im glad I saw this before I posted it! I will definitely be using this tool you made up! :D

1. I only let board administrators lock my topics, if you ask me if you wanna lock a topic made by me, PLEASE ASK
2. NO E-MAILING, only private message me

<bossedit8> WHAT IS WITH THESE DONUTS SERIOUSLY?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 pm 
Lakitu
Lakitu

moemoe02 wrote:
What's this? Instead of making a TXT file of the NPC, you can use this program? I can't believe when I was browsing the forum as a guest, and saw that you can like, adjust the height and width of the NPC and have it like, not fall or pass through it, I think this would be more useful for creating graphics! Im glad I saw this before I posted it! I will definitely be using this tool you made up! :D

Haha yes, it makes the txt file for you to make things less confusing. But thank you thank you! And if you have any issues, suggestions, etc please leave them here and I'll work on adding them :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 am 
Birdo
Birdo

So with his I can even make the NPC's speed like 1.2?

<Joey> you want a dickpic
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over
<bossedit8> abuse nicely
Also known as Sock and Ice on the IRC.
Nintendo Network ID: zlakerboy357
Demo 2.1 is now finally released for my project.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:59 am 
Blooper
Blooper

zlakerboy357 wrote:

I don't think, the whole issue with the decimals probably won't change. I think this is more something like a npc txt generator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:57 am 
Eerie
Eerie

TBH this one looks far better then the other one made by that guy who left a long time ago.

Join my forum, reghrhre's here too
In Justice we trust !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:04 am 
Grinder
Grinder

Finally something that generate NPC codes! This is better than write in a .txt.

I discovered what's castlewars' CC8 level's name by saying random things.
I am a member on reghrhre's forum. I support that, so I put a link.
Below other links of forums I support.
Knux's forum
SMBXtreme forum
<m4sterbr0s>But yeah, some people on the forums need to mature more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:55 am 
Pokey
Pokey

Good job, Luigifan2010 ;)
but i found bugs, please, fix it:
- you forgot add "0" score, i tested it, it is disable the score adding on NPC kill/take:
Image Image

- you forgot about GFX Offset: it can using negative values, but you using only >=0.
Image Image

- make two decimals on speed multiplier (I found some versions with 0.00 decumals and tested it),
and don't forget to add support for negative value too:
Image Image
Don't forgot set increment as 0.1 instead 0.3, you can rotate mouse wheel with mouse over for fast change value ;-)

And, started from 0.0.3 my editor support to saving NPC, but not support creation of new (i will release it after create NPC dynamic config for using default NPC settings for making preview animation with using his degault settings), (use save and save As buttons, or Ctrl+S and Ctrl+Shift+S for write):
Saved file:

Your tool is useful for simply and fast editing NPC configs. My editor is big program, and need for editing episodes/levels and NPC editor is small part of it. And your NPC configs tool will saving time, what editor using for itself loading.
Good job ;)

Don't forgot append me into "thanks", if you using my ideas, and I will add you, because I have idea to make Big Games Repo for my engine, and your Episode Manager is a great idea - finding and download/install interests games(Game dynamic configurations)/episodes(worlds) with one click into Episode managers, as Package manager for Linux, using for install interests programs into your system:
but I will make it later.

My Media:
Pure HQ Music Pack for SMBX http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Music/ (Chiptune RIP)
SMBX OPL Sound pack http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/Sounds/SMBX_OPL/ (Created with Yamaha OPL chip and MIDI files)

Last edited by Wohlstand on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

zlakerboy357 wrote:

You can set it to that and it will save like that HOWEVER, any previous issues with decimals and SMBX are not magically solved with this sadly

Wohlstand wrote:
Good job, Luigifan2010 ;)
but i found bugs, please, fix it:
- you forgot add "0" score, i tested it, it is disable the score adding on NPC kill/take:
Image Image

Didn't know you could do 0 score; will fix that in the next update!
Quote:
- you forgot about GFX Offset: it can using negative values, but you using only >=0.
Image Image

Will fix that too. Again, I didn't know you could do that

Quote:
- make two decimals on speed multiplier (I found some versions with 0.00 decumals and tested it),
and don't forget to add support for negative value too:
Image Image
Don't forgot set increment as 0.1 instead 0.3, you can rotate mouse wheel with mouse over for fast change value ;-)

Again, I didn't know about the negative values for speed. However , I was a little weary about adding support for decimals because of all the problems people have had (I believe it is a simple cultural difference with the decimal character). I will fix all of this in the coming update
Quote:
You tool is useful for simply and fast editing NPC configs. My editor is big program, and need for editing episodes/levels and NPC editor is small part of it. And your NPC configs tool will saving time, what editor using for itself loading.
Good job ;)

Thank you thank you ;) the whole purpose was for it to be quick and easy. There's always going to be those people that'll stick by the original SMBX even after your engine is released however so I figured the tool wouldn't be useless when yours was released.
Quote:
Don't forgot append me into "thanks", if you using my ideas, and I will add you, because I have idea to make Big Games Repo for my engine, and your Episode Manager is a great idea - finding and download/install interests games(Game dynamic configurations)/episodes(worlds) with one click into Episode managers, as Package manager for Linux, using for install interests programs into your system:
but I will make it later.

I will append you into the help>about document alongside all these other updates in time
As for this on Linux, I'm not sure how well that would work out. This uses the .NET Framework and I'm not sure how much of it I could rewrite in Mono/GTK C# I'll do some research when I have a day off from school. I am very excitedbfor your engine and everything you are doing ;)

Cheers

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:32 pm 
Lakitu
Lakitu

Just released the 1.1.0.0 Update guys, just use the same link as above to download it

1.1.0.0 Changelog wrote:
-Adds support for the "0" score
-Adds support for negative GFX Offset values
-Adds support for a two-decimal place speed value (1.25 instead of 1.2)
-Adds the changelog form
-Removed the dialog asking if you wanted to quit, it was annoying and didn't work right
-Added support for drag/drop the NPC Text files onto the form

Frozen wrote:
TBH this one looks far better then the other one made by that guy who left a long time ago.

What one are you talking about?