NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:47 pm 
Bob-omb
Bob-omb

Joey wrote:
Yes, it does. We don't want to get peoples' hopes up for nothing.

Umm...

:|

The Clocktower - a tale of mischief, triumph, sacrifice, and Mexican food.
Beta v1.0 Out Now! viewtopic.php?f=34&t=3697
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:58 pm 
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

I'd like to see a bit less... What is it? Egocentricism? Xenophobia?

"This site only supports 1.3.0.1"
"<Fanofsmbx> What other sites are there for me to go to?
<Joey> We're not having this discussion."

What I mean is, I don't really like how this site has positioned itself as "THE SMBX site". This was easier to swallow back when Knux had just torpedoed his reputation, but it's starting to come to a head. I'm not saying that I disagree with all of the administration's goals, or that they're bad (they are very efficient), but my point is that there's becoming less of a "palette" of SMBX sites to choose from when you don't like this one. As Gohan's forum puts it, "Want to get away from the drama of Joey's forum?" (Paraphrased since the site is down).

Speaking of administration problems, I don't really like how the staff on this forum is more rigid than on SMBXR. They don't seem to compromise much, if at all. This "my way or the highway" problem leads to the paragraph above.

Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:03 am 
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

FanofSMBX wrote:
I'd like to see a bit less... What is it? Egocentricism? Xenophobia?

Xenophobia? Um, you know that means fear of people from other countries right? And I have no clue what you mean by Egocentricism either.

FanofSMBX wrote:

What I mean is, I don't really like how this site has positioned itself as "THE SMBX site". This was easier to swallow back when Knux had just torpedoed his reputation, but it's starting to come to a head. I'm not saying that I disagree with all of the administration's goals, or that they're bad (they are very efficient), but my point is that there's becoming less of a "palette" of SMBX sites to choose from when you don't like this one. As Gohan's forum puts it, "Want to get away from the drama of Joey's forum?" (Paraphrased since the site is down).

Speaking of administration problems, I don't really like how the staff on this forum is more rigid than on SMBXR. They don't seem to compromise much, if at all. This "my way or the highway" problem leads to the paragraph above.

It's not true that the admins are saying "my way or the highway," rather there's a handful of threads such as this one listening to ideas of other people in a meritocratic (not democratic) way. In my opinion much of the "drama" is the result of the staff not being rigid enough. Granted neither party is totally and completely free from the guilt of causing "drama," I think it's worth noting that it's mostly the same users that are perpetuating it both on the forums and the chat.

This is because 1.3.0.1 is the latest official release of SMBX, and supporting other exe downloads would make things more disorganized.

In the context of this post, the discussion wasn't about where to move. Discussing what other sites to go to would just derail the discussion that was being had.

SMB Tiles: 100%
SMB2 Tiles: 100%
SMB3 Tiles: 100%
SMW Tiles: 100%
Misc Tiles: 100%

SMB BGOs: 100%
SMB2 BGOs: 100%
SMB3 BGOs: 100%
SMW BGOs: 100%
Misc BGOs: 100%

SMB NPCs: 100%
SMB2 NPCs: 100%
SMB3 NPCs: 100%
SMW NPCs: 0%
Misc NPCs: 0%

Selection
Eraser
Tile Placement
BGO Placement
NPC Placement
Level Settings
Warps
Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:14 am 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

We are "THE" SMBX site, though. I don't see what the problem with that is.

This community has grown to expect a palette of SMBX sites to go to if they don't like the main one, and that's kind of silly. Instead of running away from your problems/mistakes, why not face them/try to be better?

"well if im banned from here then where do i go???"

Nowhere, that's the point. The fact that you're expecting this is the problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 am 
Ripper II
Ripper II

Joey wrote:

I don't like how you're denying an idea just because some creators have the game designing form of writer's block.

"We don't want to get peoples' hopes up for nothing." is complete bullshit. Projects do get done, you know. Denying the idea just because MOST people won't finish them is complete bullshit.

Join me and Gohan's forum!
Click here to join!

IRC Quotes
<pixels> this forum has enough keys to solve SMW twenty times over

<Legend-tony980> GhostHawk, what is a bot?
<GhostBot> a user without a soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

sleepy wrote:
Joey wrote:

I don't like how you're denying an idea just because some creators have the game designing form of writer's block.

"We don't want to get peoples' hopes up for nothing." is complete bullshit. Projects do get done, you know. Denying the idea just because MOST people won't finish them is complete bullshit.

I actually have to disagree. I've seen alot of projects get cancelled especially from new members and such. Look at the Great Empire 3

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:37 pm 
Lakitu
Lakitu

The thing is with projects and certain members is that they will feel motivated to get going on it as soon as they start, but usually around 35% into the project they go "Cancelled as I don't feel like it anymore. Someone lock this." and a lot of them are with new members. In fact, even 15% into my remake of The Great Castle Adventure I'm still feeling the motivation to do it because krazykoopa is planning to release it as part of NGCA, so this is going to give me the same feeling as krazykoopa and zephyr had when making the original TGCA. But most of the time it's usually other commitments that are preventing people from finishing projects, such as school or other IRL happenings.

THE GREAT CASTLE ADVENTURE (REMAKE!)

Visit and join my own forum, the Castlewars Forums. More members are needed.
Also, give this link a click to go to my YouTube channel. Subscribe if you want!

Remember, it's not about custom graphics in levels, it's about HOW YOU USE THEM.

Inactive from 25th of July to 31st of July due to holidaying in Greece.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:09 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

It's completely fine to post contest entries, but what's bugging me is that they receive more reviews and are moved in their respective group. It would be better to have a subforum called "contest entries", and that's where they are moved to. This way the other subforums don't get overloaded with levels and it's pretty nice to have a good overview of the contest entries from all contests.

NNID & Skype: Xx1Kyo (If you're going to send me a friend request in any of those, make sure I can recognize who you are or I'll decline.)
Correct pronouncement of my name: Key - o
<wingedblueyoshi> do you even logic

Since I am an attention-horny pig, I'll advertise my project in my signature from now on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 pm 
Grinder
Grinder

@Kyo: Well, there is one but that is inside the Archive: viewforum.php?f=74

My YouTube Channel ~ bossedit8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:09 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

I wasn't talking about contest topics.

NNID & Skype: Xx1Kyo (If you're going to send me a friend request in any of those, make sure I can recognize who you are or I'll decline.)
Correct pronouncement of my name: Key - o
<wingedblueyoshi> do you even logic

Since I am an attention-horny pig, I'll advertise my project in my signature from now on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40