NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Frozen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:46 am 
Eerie
Eerie

Fabman650 wrote:
Raster wrote:
Magician wrote:
The gloves clearly weren't working anyway.

The gloves were working just fine. Her powers were out of control only when she wasn't wearing them.

You're wrong.

No he's not. While she was wearing the gloves the power didn't spread out much she had to wear those as she couldn't control it right.

When Anna removed one of her gloves and Elsa got a bit worried she eventually used her power then which made People think she is a Witch.
After this she run away due this because she didn't want to hurt anyone. And then the Song goes on.

Join my forum, reghrhre's here too
In Justice we trust !
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:55 am 
Cecil
Cecil

Magician put it pretty well. We're not exactly wrong when we say the gloves would have been enough of a safety measure. While they didn't prevent stuff like her room getting covered with ice due to her melancholy, they efficiently stopped everything from freezing from her touch.

Besides, in an early version of the plot the gloves were the parents' solution to Elsa's lack of control over her powers and she was allowed to show up in public and be with her sister all she liked. The isolation part and separation from Anna were last-minute changes, basically.

I also have a graphics pack now! viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1386
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValtteriValtteri24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm 
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

It's her emotions that froze her room, not direct magic. If she had her gloves removed, she would've been a much greater danger to everyone. Her powers go out of control when she's emotional and doesn't wear gloves.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:05 am 
Mega Mole
Mega Mole

Raster wrote:
It's her emotions that froze her room, not direct magic. If she had her gloves removed, she would've been a much greater danger to everyone. Her powers go out of control when she's emotional and doesn't wear gloves.
Valtteri wrote:
Magician put it pretty well. We're not exactly wrong when we say the gloves would have been enough of a safety measure. While they didn't prevent stuff like her room getting covered with ice due to her melancholy, they efficiently stopped everything from freezing from her touch.

Besides, in an early version of the plot the gloves were the parents' solution to Elsa's lack of control over her powers and she was allowed to show up in public and be with her sister all she liked. The isolation part and separation from Anna were last-minute changes, basically.

Sure. I'm not arguing that your interpretation is wrong, I'm just arguing the validity of my own. I could interpret that Elsa's emotions were so powerful that an entire region could be covered in snow by her emotional reaction alone, and almost as quickly as the gloves were removed. I could also interpret that the gloves were a stopgap measure and that the storm was a result of a suppressed but building force inside of her for a prolonged period of time. What we saw in the duration of the movie doesn't discount this because we didn't see what would have happened if the gloves had been a part of her life for a much longer period of time. She could still have exploded, gloves be damned. Especially if her emotions can freeze her room despite them.

I think it's consistent with one of Frozen's main themes, as well as its theme song, that Elsa's gloves were not a literal permanent solution and that she, at some point, really needed to let it go.
I also think it's consistent with how she was kept hidden away, even if it was a reversal on an earlier version of the plot. If they really meant the gloves to be a permanent solution they could have just gone with that version and had the events unfold in a similar way.

It's true that this doesn't explain the separation from Anna, though. I don't think anything can explain that, except that it was a deliberately manufactured conflict.