NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SSL Connection Error
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:01 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

I can't access my computer atm. It will take two days, but I'll immediately try this out and will let you know the result in two days. Thanks for the tutorial.

NNID & Skype: Xx1Kyo (If you're going to send me a friend request in any of those, make sure I can recognize who you are or I'll decline.)
Correct pronouncement of my name: Key - o
<wingedblueyoshi> do you even logic

Since I am an attention-horny pig, I'll advertise my project in my signature from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:39 am 
Pokey
Pokey

Didn't work. I'm not sure how I can open the .etl file. I've searched for a program to open .etl files but found nothing, and it won't open by default either. Network.cab opens a folder with two text files, called ipconfig.all and route.print. Opening will require me to select a file and to extract it. Not sure what exactly it's for. This might help. The other error was the IPsec one, and that new rule to enable port 443 is supposed to be the cause of that. If I do the same when the firewall is disabled, it can't identify any error, but it still fails to connect with SSL sites, despite of finding no error.

This option to identify errors, implementing it will make you choose to find any error with the internet connection; which is an IPsec-error when firewall is enabled; or an error with the connection with one specific site. When I choose a https-using site, the error is always that the remote device rejected connection. Enabling or disabling firewall doesn't influence this, which means that my firewall is irrelevant to this error.

I have no clue what is meant with the remote device rejecting connection with https, though. Is the router the remote device? In that case, I'm wondering why the remote device rejects connection on my computer only, and not on other devices. One possibility is that the it's set up to block port 443 in the router configuration for my IP exclusively, which would mean I'm screwed since I'd have to login in to my fritz box and disable this, but I don't have the password and my mother probably doesn't give shit about this and wouldn't bother. But before I jump into such conclusions, what is meant with the remote device?

NNID & Skype: Xx1Kyo (If you're going to send me a friend request in any of those, make sure I can recognize who you are or I'll decline.)

Since I am an attention-horny pig, I'll advertise my project in my signature from now on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 pm 
Banned

I know remote device is the server (website) you're connecting to.

Anyways, everything that I could think of didn't help you. There's only one thing I can suggest to help you diagnose your problem, and it's a bit of a pain to go through. You can check if the problem lies within your operating system configuration by booting into a Linux Live-CD and trying to connect to a HTTPS webpage through it.

A live CD, live DVD, or live disc is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs in a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive; the CD itself is read-only. It allows users to run an operating system for any purpose without installing it or making any changes to the computer's configuration. Live CDs can run on a computer without secondary storage, such as a hard disk drive, or with a corrupted hard disk drive or file system, allowing data recovery.

A live ISO is an ISO image of a Live CD which can be used in virtual machine environments, mounted as if it were a CD/DVD and used as the virtual machine's boot CD. Live CDs, ISOs, and images usually include an operating system available without charge or restrictive licence such as Linux, rather than a commercial one such as Microsoft Windows, for legal rather than technical reasons.

The Live CD you would probably want to boot into would be the Ubuntu Live ISO, which you can burn into a CD/DVD. It can be found here. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Now heres how you can do this procedure:
MAKE SURE TO HAVE ANOTHER DEVICE IN HANDY SO YOU CAN READ THIS GUIDE WHILE YOUR COMPUTER IS TURNED OFF!

Burning the ISO image into a CD
1. First thing, you'll want to download the ISO image from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop and burn it into a CD.

2. Download Free ISO Burner, a completely free program that only burns ISO files, making it really easy to use.
Important: Free ISO Burner is completely free and fully functional. HOWEVER, their download page (hosted by SoftSea.com) is a little tricky. Don't let their advertisements fool you into downloading something else. See the Warning in Step 3 in my tutorial for details.

3. Double-click on the FreeISOBurner file that you just downloaded. The Free ISO Burner program will start. (Free ISO Burner is a standalone program, meaning it doesn't install, it just runs. This is yet another reason why I prefer this ISO burner over others with huge installations.)

4. Insert a blank disc in your drive.

5. Click the Open button next to the empty space within the ISO File section, near the top of the program window.

6. When the Open window appears, locate and select the ISO file you wish to burn to the empty disc.

7. Once you've selected the ISO file, click the Open button at the bottom of the window to confirm your selection.

8. Now that you're back to the Free ISO Burner main screen, check that the option under Drive is in fact the optical drive you put the empty disc in while on Step 4 above. (If you have more than one optical drive, you may have more than one option to choose here.)

9. Skip the customizations in the Options area unless you know what you're doing.

10. Click the Burn button to start the ISO file burn.

Depending on how large the ISO file is, and how fast your disc burner is, the ISO burning process could take anywhere from several seconds, to several minutes, to complete.

11. When the burning is complete, the disc will automatically eject from the drive. You then can remove the disc and close Free ISO Burner.

Now you can proceed to the next steps:

Running the Live CD
DO NOT RUN ANYTHING FROM THE CD WHILE YOU ARE IN WINDOWS. THIS MIGHT RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL INSTALLATION OF LINUX AND OVERWRITING YOUR WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM COMPLETELY. DO NOT RUN WUBI.EXE.

1. Make sure your computer is booting from the CD drive.
Either turn on or restart your computer. While doing this, hold the DELETE button to enter the BIOS. Use your left and right arrow keys to navigate to the BOOT tab. *Once on the BOOT tab use your down arrow keys to navigate to the "Boot Device priority" menu.

2. Change the BOOT device priority.
follow the onscreen instructions to set the device labeled "first boot device" as the CD drive.
Often you use your UP/DOWN arrow keys to select various boot devices. on the first boot device, hitting ENTER brings up a list of devices. Use your arrow keys again to select your CD drive. Hit ENTER to save your choice.

3. Save the BIOS settings.
Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS. (On some computers you may have to hit a function button labeled "fn" and then the F10 button )

4. Insert the Live CD
After you have saved the BIOS setting insert the CD into your CD Drive.

5. Boot From the Disk
While your computer is loading, insert the Live CD and your computer should boot from the CD drive.
If your computer does not load the CD, restart it with the CD still in the drive and try again.

FINAL STEPS AND CHECKING IF THE PROBLEM REALLY LIES WITHIN WINDOWS OR AN EXTERNAL SOURCE
1. DO NOT INSTALL UBUNTU. CLICK "TRY" UBUNTU TO START THE OPERATING SYSTEM IN A TEMPORARY ENVIRONMENT.

2. Open Mozilla Firefox and connect to any website that uses SSL protocol, such as Google, Youtube or Facebook.

3. CHECK IF THE PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS. IF THE CERTIFICATE IS VALID AND THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS, THEN YOUR PROBLEM LIES IN WINDOWS.

GOING BACK TO WINDOWS
1. Turn off your computer.

2. Make sure your computer is NOT booting from the CD drive.
Either turn on or restart your computer. While doing this, hold the DELETE button to enter the BIOS. Use your left and right arrow keys to navigate to the BOOT tab. *Once on the BOOT tab use your down arrow keys to navigate to the "Boot Device priority" menu.

3. Change the BOOT device priority.
Follow the onscreen instructions to set the device labeled "first boot device" as YOUR WINDOWS HARD DRIVE.
Often you use your UP/DOWN arrow keys to select various boot devices. on the first boot device, hitting ENTER brings up a list of devices. Use your arrow keys again to select your windows hard drive. Hit ENTER to save your choice.

4. Save the BIOS settings.
Press F10 to save and exit the BIOS. (On some computers you may have to hit a function button labeled "fn" and then the F10 button )

5. Go back to Windows and post results.

This is a VERY exhaustive process and is the only way of checking if your problem really lies in your operating system or not. Since we cannot find the roots of the problem within windows, I would suggest a re-installation of the operating system if the problem really lies in Windows.

Escape Chat: http://23.239.11.184/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:09 am 
Pokey
Pokey

I intentionally waited and didn't do this so far because I'd go to my grandma for three weeks and would take my computer with me in order to verify whether the issue remains or not. That way I'll see if the problem was the router or not, and it was. I don't have this error here. Apparently my parents accidentally blocked Port 443 exclusively for my IP in the router settings, which I can't access because I don't have the pass word. I'm extremely certain that this is the problem. I might try out your tutorial when I'm back home, but I doubt it could bypass the router settings.