NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SSL Connection Error
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:00 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

Is this where help topics belong nowadays?

Anyway, I've had this problem for a while now. I don't know when exactly and how I got it, but it's extremely annoying and I've searched for a solution for quite some time now, without success. Basically, SLL-supported sites (https) refuse connection which means I cannot connect with sites such as youtube, google, or any e-mail-related website. Captchas won't show up as well and many downloads cannot be implemented successfully, and uploads don't work either. I can access those websites with other mobile devices, but being unable to upload screenshots or levels is quite a pain, as I have to permanently ask other people to do it for me and I feel like those people I'm asking are very likely to get annoyed if this continues.

I've recently gone through a computer reset when I tried to downgrade my windows from 8 to 7, and my computer does run a lot more smoothly now and some erros have been fixed. Previously, I needed a program to open and save text files because they wouldn't open if I click on them. Pretty much everything works perfectly, with the exception of the most important error, namely connecting to https websites. I've searched for a solution and tried out a lot, but nothing worked so far, and if anyone here has an idea how to fix this, please tell me.

Oh, and by the way, this problem does have nothing to do with my browser. I've tried connecting to https sites with five different browsers, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera, and Beamrise, but all of them failed.

NNID & Skype: Xx1Kyo (If you're going to send me a friend request in any of those, make sure I can recognize who you are or I'll decline.)
Correct pronouncement of my name: Key - o
<wingedblueyoshi> do you even logic

Since I am an attention-horny pig, I'll advertise my project in my signature from now on.

Post subject: Re: SSL Connection Error
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 pm 
Banned

Your computer's date and time is wrong.

How do you know that you are dealing with the right person or rather the right web site. Well, someone has taken great length (if they are serious) to ensure that the web site owners are who they claim to be. This someone, you have to implicitly trust: you have his/her certificate loaded in your browser (a root Certificate). A certificate, contains information about the owner of the certificate, like e-mail address, owner's name, certificate usage, duration of validity, resource location or Distinguished Name (DN) which includes the Common Name (CN) (web site address or e-mail address depending of the usage) and the certificate ID of the person who certifies (signs) this information. It contains also the public key and finally a hash to ensure that the certificate has not been tampered with. As you made the choice to trust the person who signs this certificate, therefore you also trust this certificate. This is a certificate trust tree or certificate path. Usually your browser or application has already loaded the root certificate of well known Certification Authorities (CA) or root CA Certificates. The CA maintains a list of all signed certificates as well as a list of revoked certificates. A certificate is insecure until it is signed, as only a signed certificate cannot be modified. You can sign a certificate using itself, it is called a self signed certificate. All root CA certificates are self signed.

Your computer will compare your system date to the expiration date of the SSL certificate. If your system time is stuck in the past or so far in the future that it is outside of the SSL certificate expiration date, a secure connection will not be established. This is easily corrected by changing your system time to the current date.

Escape Chat: http://23.239.11.184/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 pm 
Goomba
Goomba

what error are you getting?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:39 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

I've seen that incorrect date and time is a common cause for SSL connection errors, but that's not the case for me. It's the 7th of july in year 2014, 7:40 PM in my timezone as of now. I'm extremely certain that's correct, since every device I owned is showing exactly the same date. Is it possible that the SSL certificate is already expired despite of the time being correct and is there any way to check that? But thanks, otherwise. That middle paragraph does clear up some stuff.
SolarStar wrote:
what error are you getting?

If it's about the error code, it's called "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED".

NNID & Skype: Xx1Kyo (If you're going to send me a friend request in any of those, make sure I can recognize who you are or I'll decline.)

Since I am an attention-horny pig, I'll advertise my project in my signature from now on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:00 pm 
Banned

Your firewall may be blocking port 443, used for SSL connections. Make an exception for port 443 in the firewall.

Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type firewall, and then click Windows Firewall.

In the left pane, click Advanced settings. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security dialog box, in the left pane, click Inbound Rules, and then, in the right pane, click New Rule.

Follow the instructions in the New Inbound Rule wizard.

You may also want to forward port 443 if all else fails. http://portforward.com/
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:17 am 
Pokey
Pokey

My firewall seems to have no issue with port 443. I even temporarily disable my firewall completely to see if anything changes, and port forwarding didn't do anything as well, assuming I actually did it correctly. I'm using an outdated Windows version, 8.0. I really don't want 8.1, but if upgrading could possibly fix this issue, I'll do it. Is the Windows version even relevant to this issue?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 am 
Pokey
Pokey

Considering 8.1 was a highly recommended update full of bug-fixes and improvements, I'm not sure why you wouldn't update to it. Now is it relevant to your problem? I have no idea.

<Nien> holy shit I live under a cactus .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:39 am 
Banned

I don't even know what could be causing your problem now.
There's one last thing you can do, but I doubt it's going to work.

Go to Control Panel, then navigate to Internet and Networking. Click "Internet Options" to open a menu with configurations for internet. Open the "Content" tab and press the button "Clean SSL state". Then see if the problem is solved (at least with internet explorer)

The names might be a bit off since I'm using a computer in portuguese and I don't know the options' english equivalent

EDIT: Wait, actually, do you use an antivirus? If yes, what antivirus?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:30 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

I just tried to go to control panel, then to network and internet and there was an option to test the connection to a website and tell the exact problem as to why the connection failed. There were two, the first was was called IPsec-negotiation failure. Second is, the remote device refused connection. I clicked "view details". Since I'm using a computer in german, I do not know the exact english names as well, but I'm trying to translate it as accurately as I can.

Found Problems:
"The device and the resource (google.com) is not set up for acceptation of connections on port "https"."

Detection Details:
Network diagnostics log
File name: 65E134F2-629F-4699-9424-2464885167F6.Diagnose.0.etl
Other network configuration and logs:
File name: NetworkConfiguration.cab

Publisher Details:
Windows-network diagnostics
Determines problems with network connectivity.
Package version: 1.0
Publisher: Microsoft Windows
Internet connections
Helps with identification and correction of issues that prevent from connecting with a certain website.
Package version: 1.0
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

I hope that does clear up or at least give some indication on what the problem could possibly be. Also, unfortunately that last thing didn't do anything as well, assuming I did what you actually told me to correctly. Believe it or not, but I don't have an antivirus currently. After the computer reset, Kaspersky, McAffee and Norton were pre-installed, and I deinstalled all of them and originally wanted to get Avira, which I haven't done so far.

FallingSnow wrote:
Considering 8.1 was a highly recommended update full of bug-fixes and improvements, I'm not sure why you wouldn't update to it. Now is it relevant to your problem? I have no idea.

Going to update my computer now to see if anything changes.
E: Store won't open, probably because of the same problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:18 pm 
Banned

That's not what I was expecting. I think you went to the wrong window.
I'll send you a screenshot tutorial on Cleaning SSL State.

1. Open control panel

2. Click here

3. Click here.

4. Click on Contents.

5. Click here

Then tell us results. If it doesn't work, that thing you did might be of help. Can you show us the files:

65E134F2-629F-4699-9424-2464885167F6.Diagnose.0.etl

and

NetworkConfiguration.cab