NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:55 am 

So I found this while browsing the old forums under the WayBackMachine. Dunno if it's helpful at all, but I thought I'd repost it here. Credits to Wario from the original forums.

SMBX is only availible for Windows. And since it is written in Visual Basic 8, there is little hope that there will ever be a Linux or Mac OS X port. But it works with Wine. Yes, really. Even the sound does (sometimes). People tend to ask about running SMBX with Wine, so I thought I share with you how it's done. Just don't blame me if this guide doesn't work for you.

For those of you that hate reading, here is the short and ugly version:

Download SMBX (obviously) and unzip it.
Install wine and winetricks.
Run 'winetricks quartz vb6run'.
Run 'WINEDEBUG=-all wine smbx.exe &'
Enjoy
Keep in mind these steps should be performed one after the other. There's no point in moving onto the next step if the previous step fails for some reason, as you won't be able to run SMBX.

-------------------------------------------------------

Turbo Mode:

Thanks to matthewbauer, it is now super easy to install SMBX under Linux. It just takes the two following steps:

Get PlayOnLinux
Download and Run this script

And that's it. Now you can run SMBX from your menu. If not, run 'wine smbx' from the terminal.

-------------------------------------------------------

Long, detailed and boring version:

Step 1: What You Need!

You will need a running Linux system, of course. Since Ubuntu is by far the most common Linux distribution (on desktops), I'm just gonna assume you have a recent version of it installed.
Some basic knowledge about the terminal. This is important. If you don't know what I'm talking about, take a look at the Ubuntu documentation about using the terminal.

Step 2: Installation

To make things easier, lets create a directory in your $HOME where we will install SMBX. You can do this with nautilus, or from the console:
CODE: SELECT ALL
mkdir smbx

And change into it:
cd smbx/

Download the current version of SMBX here and save the file in the directory you just created.

If not installed, install unzip:
sudo apt-get install unzip

Don't worry. If unzip already was installed, this won't do any harm.

Extract the .zip file:
unzip smbx12.zip

Now, run:
sudo apt-get install wine

This will install Wine on your system. We will need the shell script "winetricks", wich Ubuntu already included in the just installed "wine" package. Winetricks is a shell script that downloads missing DLLs and fonts for you from the best known source. If you (for some reason) want to use the current version of Wine, read this and this for the latest version of winetricks.

In the next step, we'll use winetricks to download and install quartz.dll and the Visual Basic Runtime. But first, let's make sure you have cabextract installed, as winetricks will need this.
sudo apt-get install cabextract

Then run:
winetricks quartz vb6run

If you see something like: "winetricks done.", you're golden.

Step 3: Run SMBX

A simple
wine smbx.exe

should do it.

Be patient. SMBX takes a while to load, especially with Wine.

As SMBX runs, you should see a lot of output on the terminal you have started it from. Stuff like this:
fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf8cfe4,886,1,{00020400-0000-0000-c000-000000000046},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x33f70c), partially implemented.
fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf8cfd4,1125,1,{00020400-0000-0000-c000-000000000046},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x33f70c), partially implemented.
fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf8cfe4,886,1,{00020400-0000-0000-c000-000000000046},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x33f70c), partially implemented.
fixme:ole:OleLoadPictureEx (0xf8cfd4,1125,1,{00020400-0000-0000-c000-000000000046},x=0,y=0,f=0,0x33f70c), partially implemented.

These fixme: lines are debug messages, kind of reminders for the Wine developers. We don't need them, so we're gonna deactivate them. Simply prefix "WINEDEBUG=-all". The resulting command should look like this:
WINEDEBUG=-all wine smbx.exe

This should improve performance a little bit.

And that's it. Enjoy!

To do: Write section about sound. I'm sure it's just my configuration / my system.

Changelog:
6/4/2010:
- Replaced downloading msvbvm60.dll manually with 'winetricks vb6run' as matthewbauer pointed it out to me.
- Added a "Turbo Mode" section for the PlayOnLinux way.
- Removed some typos and added some colors.

So, what else does work?

The editor runs, but I haven't tested anything yet.
One-player and two-player modes run perfectly fine. No glitches here.
Sound works, even if a little buggy. Sometimes the music won't play. Need to investigate.

Conclusion

I didn't think I would try running SMBX with Wine again, after my failed attempts last year. In fact, I almost had forgotten about SMBX until joystiq blogged about the version 1.2 trailer (hence the traffic here in the last 2 days). But here I am, writing this insanely long guide. Redigit, your work is awesome. Let's all hope Nintendo won't sue us to death.

Also: To be honest, I don't actually use Ubuntu, but another Linux distribution named "Arch Linux". The software is the same, so i guess this won't make any difference. It would be great if those of you running Ubuntu would try running SMBX with this guide and tell me if it worked.

I will try to keep this post up to date, but I can't promise it.

If you encounter any problems, or have questions or suggestions, please post them in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 pm 
Pokey
Pokey

Yay! You found it! Now I can install it on my linux! Thanks a lot!

If you like putting things in your signature, put this line in your signature.

Check out my custom tilesets, and choose influence what I'll make next:
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4048&p=50551#p50551

I support:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Grinder
Grinder

I think this should get stickied.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 pm 
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Winetricks returned an error in the terminal and the script in the second guide is probably lost forever. I recommend installing Windows on a virtual disk instead of using WINE, since results can be pretty disappointing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:43 am 

Topic stickied because I guess the topic isn't as dusty and outdated as I thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:52 am 
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Quote:
And since it is written in Visual Basic 8...

SMBX was written in Visual Basic 6.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:47 am 
Volcano Lotus
Volcano Lotus

Ahhhhh, this is THE tutorial I needed. I've already tried earlier on to make SMBX work on Linux, but failed for some reason. The missing Visual Basic and quartz.dll are probably the reason why. Gotta try the things in the first post out. Thanks a lot!

Projects I support:
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:48 am 
Lakitu
Lakitu

SMBX was written in Visual Basic 6.
Second of all, I tried the SMBX PlayOnLinux script a while back on a fairly recent version of Ubuntu and it didn't work. This guide is kinda eh now that Wohl's editor is around anyway.
Good find though

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:47 am 
Koopa Shell
Koopa Shell

Yeah, sorry but it's not going to work that way. SMBX is incompatible with WINE and the only way to play it on Linux is to install a Windows VM (I've had problems with XP, but I managed to get it working). To set up a Windows Virtual Machine simply get VirtualBox from Oracle's website and create a new Virtual Machine, then install Windows on it. You might not be able to install recent versions of Windows on a VM in case your CPU is old, however, as the new versions require additional things for virtualization.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:57 pm 
Spiny
Spiny

SMBX was made with Visual Basic 6 not 8....Now only if we could have the Source Code fro Andrew we could.....

<Legend-Master980> Blck_Guy: Thanks.

<Nexia> Gohan what else do u need
<PrincessMarina> You

<Blck_Guy> I'm a DUCK
* Anna roasts duck for dinner
<Blck_Guy> Anna I hope I taste Good...
<Anna> Blck_Guy, not u silly
<PrincessMarina> Blck_Guy: you taste good.
<Blck_Guy> PrincessMarina Owww Thanks..... :')

<XerX> Without Reghrhre there is no fun here anymore :c *cri*
<Blck_Guy> XerX Stop Showing us that you Love reghrhre so much!!
<XerX> No

<Nexia> May the spammers never touch this beauty

YouTube Channel: