NOTE: You are browsing an archive of the Super Mario Bros. X forums from July 21, 2014.

Super Mario Bros. X Forums

Forums for SMBX
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:04 pm 
Blooper
Blooper

Two heads are better than one!
(I won't talk about any greater numbers because it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.)

You ever notice the Online tab in the editor and go, "the hell do i do with this?" Well, as someone who has tested it in its alpha stages, used it, and created levels with people, (thanks Deoxys!) I would know everything about marios it up with buddies. SO WHY AREN'T YOU?!?! DO YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS??!?

What Online CAN do:
==Allow you to cover for your partner's drawbacks and mistakes.
==GET THINGS DONE. If you don't have an idea for what's next, your partner might. You have a guy right here to brainstorm with.
==Put the level together faster. Two hands fill in all the technical details faster than one.

So editing with friends is the best way to get levels done, right? ...Well,

What Online CAN'T do:
==Share custom graphics with the people connecting to your server. They'll show up on the host's end, but not on your partners'. At least, to my knowledge this is not possible; no one has extensively tested this AS FAR AS I KNOW. (You MAY have everyone insert custom graphics directly into your their respective folders to bypass this, but back up the graphics folder first, because what you are doing is OVERWRITING THE DEFAULT GRAPHICS OF SMBX.)
==Test levels as you make them. Trying anyway will crash the editor tends to kill the editor faster than a speeding marios. If you wanna test it, you're going to have to save the level, disconnect, and test it offline.
==Be stable. There are some kinks and hiccups lying around in it, so it shouldn't be terribly surprising to have it break apart.

To me at least, the pros outweigh the cons, IF you know what you're doing. That's why this thread is here.

How to get Started!

Part 1:Copy mswinsck.ocx and miswinsck.oca to your C:\Windows\System32 directory. Online functions won't work properly without doing this. Damn it Joey. Having these in your SMBX folder should work. If, for any reason it doesn't, do this step and it'll work fine.

Part 2: You need to connect to each other. In case you're both dumb and you don't know how hosting a server works, you can always use Hamachi. If you are also too dumb to figure out how to work Hamachi, open up the following spoiler to get a 1 minute instruction manual:
Spoiler: show
1. Install Hamachi.
2. Fire it up.
3. Click Network and then Create New Network.
4. Give it a name and a password. I highly recommend you password it so random hicks don't join.
5. For those joining, hit Network and then Join Existing Network.
6. Ensure that you and your network is online by confirming that Hamachi's power icon is yellow and the dot next to your server name on the list is green.
7. To connect to your host through hamachi, right click his name and hit "Copy IPv4 Address". This will give you his Hamachi IP which you can then enter into SMBX.
8. Congratulations! You can Hamachi worth half a damn.

Part 3: Start up SMBX, open up the Online menu, and hit Start.
-For the host, all he has to do is open up the online menu in SMBX, set the mode to server, and then hit connect.
-For his partners, get the IP of your host, set the mode to server, and input his IP into the Remote IP Address box of the Client Settings.
Make sure to set a nickname and a glove color before connecting! If all goes well, you should now see 2 gloves on the level editor.
-Open up the chat window in the Online menu to communicate with eachother. Or use whatever you want.

With all that done, you're ready to do whatever. But wait, there's more!

Trainer Tips!

-Work together! Talk about what to put! The two of you will grow not just as friends, but as level designers if you share your notes with eachother.
-DO NOT MAKE A RANDOM POST IN A PUBLIC THREAD ADVERTISING YOUR HAMACHI NETWORK OR IP ADDRESS. If you are not using Hamachi to simulate a local network, your IP address is THE ADDRESS OF YOUR COMPUTER ON THE INTERNET. I REPEAT, DO NOT SHARE YOUR NETWORK INFORMATION IN PUBLIC.
-I think fill is disabled? If it isn't, I'd advise against using it online.
-It's probably better to fill out the base makeup of the level first. If you get stuck, you can always just go back and put in details while your partners figure it out for you.

In closing,

If you know any details you know of about online, let me know. I know there's some things I'm missing and I need to add them to this post.

And that's it. Hope this guide helps!

Spoiler: show
NOW GET TO WORK!

Last edited by DarkMatt on Thu May 08, 2014 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm 
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

You can actually test... not that it usually stays stable past one minute.

Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:12 pm 
Cecil
Cecil

I'd like to have all tutorial threads on Help and Support so I'll move it here.

This is a great tutorial. Having created a good bunch of levels with my friends using the online function myself, I can confirm that all of this is true. Also, the custom graphics do not work for users other than the host, not even if they save the level in a location with those graphics, so you have to work around that problem.

I also have a graphics pack now! viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1386
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValtteriValtteri24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:36 pm 
Boom Boom
Boom Boom

Say, I've always wondered, what's the point of choosing a character if you're not supposed to test online?

Eerie
Grinder
Rainbow Shell
Birdo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:21 am 
Kamikaze Koopa
Kamikaze Koopa

This is a good tutorial. Thanks, DarkMatt (also welcome, I don't see to remember seeing you around here yet).

I've never actually tried to use SMBX online myself. A fully functioning version would probably be in my top priorities for SMBX 1.4 (not that I ever think that's going to happen, I know).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 pm 
Cheep-Cheep
Cheep-Cheep

When me and my friend are trying this, it simply results in an error saying that mswinsck.ocx is missing.
We fixed it now, excited to see if this actually works. It would definitly make level designing more intresting.

Last edited by Melting Terminal on Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:10 pm 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I don't think this was mentioned in the guide (I'll edit it), but you have to copy mswinsck.ocx and miswinsck.oca into your C:\Windows\System32 directory.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:28 pm 
Cecil
Cecil

Joey wrote:
I don't think this was mentioned in the guide (I'll edit it), but you have to copy mswinsck.ocx and miswinsck.oca into your C:\Windows\System32 directory.

Redigit changed that for the 1.3 update. The files can be in the same folder as smbx.exe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Why is this the first time I'm hearing about that?

I could've sworn you still had to move them. That's what I've been doing for the 3 times I've played SMBX online in the past 3 and a half years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:25 pm 
Cecil
Cecil

Joey wrote:
Why is this the first time I'm hearing about that?

I could've sworn you still had to move them. That's what I've been doing for the 3 times I've played SMBX online in the past 3 and a half years.

It works both ways. I personally don't have to move the files.